Monday, August 21, 2006

Random Childhood Memories

I'm here at work with {almost} nothing to do again. So I thought I'd answer a blog question posed at the School of Scrap by the fearless principal Lisa for a blog challenge to talk about a random childhood memory.
My memories of my childhood have been focused more on my dad lately since I lost him in April of this year. For a while, to make ends meet, my Dad worked two jobs. His regular job at The Williams School as Assistant Headmaster and teacher, and a second job as an employee at the hardware store True Value. I know we were living in Plainfield at that time, and I think that's why he had to do the second job - this was my parents' first house. I remember going to visit my dad at True Value every once in a while with my mom. My mom also worked a job at the time - she worked in the children's section of the Otis Library in Norwich, Connecticut. I remember going there more often (than to dad's workplace) and participating in their children's reading program during the summer. I remember them showing movies, including one of the Beatles' animated movies (was it Yellow Submarine or the Magical Mystery Tour?). I also remember distinctly one day, wandering in the adult section of the library, turning down one stack aisle and seeing this old, homeless man peeing in the corner of it. Never looked at the library the same after that....

1 comment:

Lisa said...

What a nice post about this memory. I'm so sorry to hear about your father's passing, but I loved reading your post.

I'm fearless? You've NEVER seen me around a spider then!