Thursday, September 18, 2008

FOBTY and What a Week!!

First, the FOBTY of the week. Vampires - yes, vampires. Really. Nice to know that I could be a vampire if I had to.



You Could Be a Vampire... If You Had To



Like most people, the thought of being a vampire has crossed your mind. But you're not sure if you'd do it, even if you could.

Living forever doesn't sound half bad, if you could live forever with the people you love the most.

But do vampires even love? And would the vampire version of you even be you?

It's all too much to contemplate. Luckily, the chances of you ever becoming a vampire are astronomically low.



What you would like best about being a vampire: Living forever



What you would like least about being a vampire: Blood stained teeth



So, what a week this has been. Friday and Saturday and Sunday morning was spent in front of the TV (when I wasn't out running errands) watching the coverage of Hurricane Ike hitting Galveston and Houston. As of today we have not heard from Jon's mom who lived over near the Greens Bayou section of Houston (on the East side). He did see there was a report on the Houston website that there was extensive damage to that section. His best friend April (who lived near the NASA area) evacuated before the storm and so was fine, his other friend waited it out in the Woodlands (and they should be fine), and my boss (up in the Northwest just outside Houston) made it out fine with only a day and a half of power outage.
So all the way up here in Ohio we were hearing about Ike and the damage it was causing, all the time unaware how we were going to get hit with Ike's fury. Sunday afternoon Ike hit with winds between 50-84 mph. We lost parts of several of our trees and had they fallen any differently we would have had some major damage to our house. But we didn't; instead, we were without power from 2pm Sunday afternoon to close to 10pm Tuesday night. Mom never lost power so we were able to put our frozen goods at her place but our refirgerator was warm by the time Monday morning hit and so we had to toss everything out. Thank goodness I didn't do the grocery shopping on Sunday morning like I had originally planned. But there was still a lot of food wasted. Ugh. We ended up getting a hotel for Tuesday night before the power had gone on again. We had a good meal Monday night (at my mom's place for my birthday) and Tuesday night (ate out at a restaurant thanks to being reimbursed by insurance), but the rest of the meals were crap - cheese & crackers for Sunday night dinner, a bagel for lunch, etc.
Yeah. So a happy birthday to me - spent dumping stinky food in the garbage, helping with tree & debris disposal. And I wasn't able to play with my presents. I got my Adobe PSE 6 and a companion book, but couldn't load the software because besides having no electric, there's something wrong with my USB ports on my computer. I couldn't wear the clothes mom got me because I wasn't going in to work. I couldn't log the stamps I got because we had no power and the stamp books were in the dark basement. And mom got me a salad chopper, which of course we have no food in the house to chop. At least it didn't top my worst birthday ever (my 27th birthday). And at least I got to play with my early birthday present - my new Zune player- which I am loving! And I did finish knitting my felted bag, though I couldn't wash it to do the felting yet. That'll be this coming weekend....

No comments: