Sunday, April 13, 2014

Zentangle-Inspired Tangle

I recently started going back to doing an art form called Zentangle, and related tangled doodling. I was inspired to blog again in response to a Zentangle challenge posted by CZT Laura aka I Am The Diva. In the challenge, our string is supposed to be our initials; so I used my full set - LADC. This is the string before I started on the actual drawing.


I had done some die rolling to find select some patterns semi-randomly and that's the notes that you see. I followed some of those, but ended up doing a few things differently. Here is the final product, which I kind of like:



I put the names of the official (Keeko, Beelight, 'Nzeppel, Paradox, Jetties, Ennies) Zentangles used as well as some un-official ones (Bead by Bead, Paushalov, Puf, Waves, Stone Necklace, Reticulated, Quare, and Onamato).

I am hoping to get some tiles to use, but for now I am using some Canson sketch paper. I am using Pigma Sensei instead of the recommended Pigma Micron, and I've opted to use blenders to help with my shading. I also hope to take a class one day with a CZT. Luckily, not too far away is Carole Ohl, a CZT whose work I really love and has designed a number of un-official tangle patterns (such as the Puf one I used in the above drawing).

4 comments:

Anne's tangle blog said...

You did a great job with this challenge. I love the open space in it.
Welcome to this community!

Annette P.-L. said...

This is wonderful! Great choice of tangles! Welcome here!

erblair said...

So you left the tangle choice to chance....and got these lovely pieces of art! I should try that - I think I agonize too much over which to use! Lovely, lovely!

Anonymous said...

Nice work! Love the tile you did.